Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Faux Mosaic Fish

I saw an interesting technique on Splitcoast awhile back and have been wanting to give it a try. It is called Faux Mosaic, and it allows me to use some card stock scraps that I save in my altered heart box (see category list on the side bar for that one). I have this habit of saving absolutely anything that I think may be useful, yes I am a "pack rat", tis inbred in my immigrant genes on both sides of my family. Anyways, here is the card, and I used the stamp set "Ocean Commotion" from Stampin Up.





Here is a photo of just the mosaic pattern:



I think the easiest thing would be to just list by number the steps involved in making this:

  1. The first thing that I did was to gather scraps out of my box that were all in the cool blue colors. On this card I used Night of Navy, Ballet Blue, Bashful Blue, and even a few of the retired Bliss Blue all from Stampin Up.
  2. Next, I cut the ones whose shape that I didn't like.
  3. After that, I cut a base for the mosaic to a size that I liked.
  4. I cut a piece of Stampin Up's double sided sticky sheets to the size of my card stock base, and adhered it. Remove one side of protective sheet, lay it on the card stock, smooth it out, then remove the other side to expose the other sticky side.
  5. Place card stock scraps onto sticky sheet in any random positions that you like, leaving space between each one.
  6. Sprinkle embossing powder over entire mosaic piece. Shake off excess, and heat set. I chose to use silver EP here.
  7. Take your Versamark pad and apply it to the mosaic piece directly over and over until the entire piece is covered.
  8. Sprinkle clear embossing powder over entire mosaic piece, shaking of the excess.
  9. Heat set. That part is done.

Now for my Fish image! I stamped the image onto my Versamark pad, then onto an SU Ballet Blue ink pad, then kind of rolled the edges of the stamp on a Classic Night of Navy ink pad. I got a little more Navy on here than I wanted, but oh well. This part is called the "Rock and Roll" technique. Isn't that just like me to combine two techniques on one card just to be difficult? Next, I stamped the fish onto some Whisper White card stock, and added some clear embossing powder to it and heat set. Heat embossing? Oops, that makes three techniques on one card. Sorry ...my bad. Next, I cut out the fish with a square Spellbinder's square nesties die-cut , left the image in the die-cut while I sponged some ink around the edges so I would leave that nice white border around it. Next I cut a mat for the fish with a larger square nesty. Then for a little extra effect, I drew some bubbles with my Sakura Micron pen which can be found at any Michael's store. Phew, that was a long post, I hope I didn't put any of you to sleep.

Now, to close, I want to share a photo of my too sweet miniature Doxie, after my daughter dressed her in a doll blanket. Poor dog! She shook that little old body of hers for a few minutes to get herself free of it.




1 comment:

VIP cards said...

Its really a nice and informative post for me. The techniques which you share with us that's really nice and addition to my knowledge as well. Keep posting like this.