Sunday, January 4, 2009

Trying Something New with a Summer Look


Hello. Wow it feels good to be back to blogging and paper crafting after that long Christmas break.

I decided after all of those Christmas cards that everyone has been posting on Splitcoast and on various blogs, that I needed to make something very non-Christmas-like. I have been wanting to try heat embossing on acetate. That sounds kind of scary, doesn't it? Yes, if you are not careful, you can melt the acetate, and it curls very easily at the very least.

However, the card on the left is an example of my first attempt at this idea. The photo doesn't show it clearly, but that cute stamp from Stampin Up's "Tart & Tangy" set was stamped in SU White Craft Ink, and heat embossed with SU's White Embossing Powder. It took me two tries to get it to look halfway descent. Let's talk about static! I am sure that you all know that acetate holds a lot of static. Well, I used the SU embossing buddy, and the embossing powder still held onto the acetate like crazy. I brushed off the excess with a paint brush very carefully. Now, a few spots still hung onto the acetate, so if this happens to you too, finish heating the embossing powder first. Then, simply scratch off the excess, and rub the areas with a facial tissue or a scrap of flannel fabric until the area shines again. But remember to be very careful not to scratch off some off the stamped image by mistake. This takes a lot of patience and is not a quick procedure in my opinion. But, in person it is a cool thing to see on a handmade card.

Supplies not listed above: SU Warmest Regards Sentiments Stamp Set, SU Whisper White, Only Orange, and Green Galore card stock, SU Only Orange Classic Ink, SU 1/16" Punch, 3/16" Corner Rounder punch, Silver Brad, Foam Dimensionals, Glue Dots, Michael's dollar bin ribbon.

While I was making this card, I began to think that it might also look good to place punched images on top of the acetate as well. It isn't quite as cool, but it looks good. So, that is where the next card came from. I was playing around with my Martha Stewart Seahorse punch again. I lo.......ve Seahorses. They are so different, and elegant to watch swim. Yes, I could stand for hours at our local aquarium, just staring into the Seahorse tank. Ok, moving onward.


This card is what I came up with. I first decided to keep it more simple than the first card, and decided to go monochromatic blue as well. So, the seahorses were punched and glued to the acetate with SU Crystal effects. It is hard to see in the photo, but I also tried to give them a little color by brushing their backs with a little SU Brilliant Blue Classic Ink, and of course little eyes with a Basic Black marker. I stamped "Thinking of you" on it, but it really could be used for birthdays as well. Well, I hope I have inspired you to get stamping again. I will list the supplies below, then "I am off like a dirty shirt".
Supplies on Seahorse card: SU Whisper White, Creamy Caramel, Bashful Blue, Ballet Blue, Brocade Blue, and Brilliant Blue card stock. Brilliant Blue Classic Ink, SU Warmest Regards Sentiments Stamp set, Crystal effects, Silver Brads, and Foam Dimensionals.

No comments: