Friday, August 14, 2009

Stampin Up Lattice Die & Stamp Convention Tutorial

I am combining several different things here today! First I wanted to show you something using my new SU/Sizzix Lattice BigShot die, an idea for card stock scraps, and also a technique that I saw at the stamp convention that I went to last weekend. I was looking around at a booth at the convention and the lady at the booth began a demonstration on how to add some dimension to flowers that we punch from card stock. She had stamps and punches and instructions put into kits that she was selling. But instead of buying them, I just watched her demonstration thinking that I could do it at home with what tools that I already owned. So, I decided to just dig right in and make a card using her technique. Here is what I came up with:
I first cut out a lattice die with my Cuttlebug and the new Lattice die-cut that Stampin Up introduced in their new catalog. Then I adhered it to my Kraft card stock base. I added my sentiment (from SU - Trendy Trees stamp set), and punched with the Stampin Up Word Window Punch. Then I went to work on the flowers. You will see in the photo below that I punched a bunch of Small flowers with my SU Trio Flower punch out of card stock scraps. This is me preaching that "save your scraps" thing again.
This is the pile of flowers that I ended up with after I punched all that I could with my small scraps of card stock. Aren't they pretty? I then store them in a plastic container until I need them. If you really want to get obsessive, Stampin Up sells an organizer and round /flat containers to store stuff in, you can store them by color group or however you like. There is a link to their catalog on my sidebar, the storage stuff is towards the back of the catalog.
Now, if you look closely at the finished card above you will see that the flowers have a 3-dimensional look instead of being flat like they are when you first punch them. The photo below shows how I achieved the dimensional look. I simply took my embossing stylus, and each flower and rubbed them on a soft surface (I used the sponge side of Bigz Daisies #2 die here) in a circular motion, until they have a sort of cup like look to them. I then adhered them to the card with a small drop of Stampin Up Crystal Effects. The final touch was to punch some 1/8" circles and add them to the flower centers with a very small dab of CE again. Crystal effects dries clear, so don't worry if you get a little too much on the center. Oh, and yes, I definitely used a pair of tweezers to work with these little pieces. Here is a list of card stock colors that I used for the flowers and their centers: Almost Amethyst, Lavender Lace, Lovely Lilac, Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Crushed Curry.

I hope that I explained it so that it is easy to understand, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Leave a comment, or go directly to my email (link on sidebar).

Until next time.......................................Blessings, Lisa

1 comment:

Lydia Fiedler said...

WHOA - your last three posts are AMAZING!! I love this flower technique and on the lattice? Perfection!!